The Launceston General Hospital (LGH) is a 340-bed hospital and is the major referral hospital for the North and North West regions of the State. The hospital provides emergency and acute care, specialist services, inpatient and ambulatory care.
As an accredited teaching hospital, the LGH has a close partnership with the University of Tasmania through the Launceston Clinical School and the School of Nursing and Midwifery based in Launceston.
As the largest employer in the region, the LGH has about 2000 employees or approximately 1500 equivalent fulltime staff.
The Launceston General Hospital has served the Northern Tasmanian community since 1863 and throughout its history, the Hospital has been fortunate to be the professional home to a number of eminent medical and surgical practitioners – people like the late Sir John Ramsay and Dr Clifford Craig – who were at the forefront of many of the Hospital’s many medical advances.
It was also in Launceston that the first general anaesthetic for surgery in Australia was administered by Dr Pugh in 1847.
The Launceston General Hospital was also one of the first to install X-Ray equipment in 1896, not long after its use in medicine first began in Europe, and it was in this hospital that one of the first wards dedicated to intensive care in Australia was established.
It was at the Launceston General Hospital where the first ever successful internal heart massage was performed by Sir John Ramsay in 1906, and the same surgeon performed probably the first ever pancreas transplant to attempt to cure diabetes in 1911. Both were world firsts.
The Hospital’s tradition of innovation has continued to the present day, with the hospital being well-supported by the Clifford Craig Foundation to undertake innovative clinical research to advance knowledge and identify causes and treatments of diseases and health related issues that affect the population.